Thank you to all my friends and family for your support!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Learning to breathe...

Today was a swim day, and was unlike the previous one. I recently bought goggles that dramatically improved my ability to swim more efficiently. However, I now have to learn how to swim with my head down, exhale under water, and inhale on timed strokes. At first I thought this would be easy. Wrong! Suzie told me to relax and just swim, and that I'd get it eventually. So I practiced gradually putting my face down and exhaling while staring at the pool bottom. I must say that I felt faster and more efficient when I was able to do so, until my rhythm was thrown off and I snorted water through my nose and gave myself a chlorine-based hydration! I'll study more, and get it down. I plan on studying some yoga breathing techniques for all three events. Anyone have Phelps' number?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have his number, but I swam in college and when I first started, the breathing was really hard for me. It just takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thanks Alison! Well, I'll work on the number. And it's encouraginbg to know it's totally normal.

    ReplyDelete